Under the supervision of the Sports Director the Sports official is responsible for the supervision, management, and assistance of the Alexander Family YMCA sports programs as they specifically relate to the games and the calling of them. He/She holds responsibility for all aspects of the above named programs when the Director is unavailable.
This position requires an understanding of and a commitment to the total effort of the YMCA and the Christian principles upon which it is founded. Candidates must have an enthusiastic personality and ability to develop harmonious relationships with staff, parents, participants, and school faculty. Candidate should possess a general understanding of sports, rules of the game, and have a strong interest in working with youth in grades K-8. He/she should possess an ability to work with and supervise peers, encourage and motivate youth, and maintain a safe environment. He/she must be dependable, mature, and of good moral character to promote program stability. He/She must present a professional image and have excellent communication skills.
- Contribute to and supervise the fulfillment of the YMCA mission and serve as a positive role model, displaying YMCA core values at all times
- Provide feedback and communication to the Sports Director about the program
- Assist in the planning and implementation of league initiatives; including scheduling, team-building, and phone calls
- Maintains strong, positive relationship and strong communication with staff, participants, parents, and school faculty
- Display confidence when interacting with parents, coaches, and participants and directly address poor sportsmanship, negative competition, and negative cheering
- Serve as on-site director for games and practices
- Acts as staff member in charge when the Sports Director is not present.
- Ensure that the referees are performing to standards and expectations set forth; including training, coaching, and supervising
- Ensure that sports facilities are ready for programs
- Ensure that the facility is clean and left in great shape
- Attend departmental and program meetings and events
- Other duties deemed appropriate by the Youth Sports Director
- Ensure all programs are safe, maintains the highest safety standards at all times.
- Obtain, Friends and Family, CPR, First Aid certification.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work, and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates and openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well, uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.