PARKS & RECREATION INTERN
Our Internship Program offers internships to students in the following areas:
• General Recreation – summer camps and youth programs, athletic tournaments, rentals, facility maintenance, seniors, aquatics/lifeguarding (if certified), etc. – three positions available per session
• Pool Managers – must possess aquatics background (Lifeguard and WSI certifications preferred) – two positions available – summer session only
• Natural Resources – seasonal management of Lake Devin Recreation Area – trail maintenance/design, fishing, wildlife management, rental facilities and equipment, fishing licensing, outdoor youth camp, etc. – one position available – summer session only
Students who choose to intern with us will:
• experience work within a small town environment for a department that is in a period of growth and expansion,
• gain valuable mentoring, leadership and feedback from experienced and qualified supervisory staff,
• be given opportunities to create and implement new programs for the community, and
• accomplish all of this while working in a historic community.
For details on our internship program and an application, visit www.oxfordnc.org/recreation.
City of Oxford, NC
Parks & Recreation Internship Summary
Background: Internships/Summer jobs are a requirement for students attending most colleges offering Recreation, Leisure Studies, and Sports Management degrees. It is an
educational opportunity for the student to experience field work in a variety of aspects of the career. For the hosting agency, it is a way to get qualified staff able to work fulltime
hours at a fraction of the cost and also create a pool from which future vacancies can be filled.
- Students must be a sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student studying in a field that is
directly related to the work of the department.
- Students must have a minimum of 50 hours previous experience in recreation.
- They must be participating in a school-monitored internship study program.
- They must be available for a full ten-weeks during the session (spring, summer or fall)
- They must provide their own transportation and have a valid driver’s license.
- They must have any required certifications (First Aid, CPR, AED, Lifeguarding, WSI, etc.) prior to
their first day.
- All candidates will go through a background and drug testing process prior to the internship
agreement being signed.
- Students may be assigned to work with summer camp programs, ball tournaments, fitness
programming, youth or adult athletics, cultural arts programming, outdoor recreation areas,
aquatics, special events, or any other necessary assignments during the internship.
- Students will be directly supervised by the department’s staff during the work day; however, the
department director will be their reporting supervisor and oversee the internship program.
- Students will also be required to complete a project during the session which will benefit the
department and be completed during the students’ non-working hours. At the end of the
session the student will present the project to the staff and management.
- A stipend of $100 per week (before taxes) is paid bi-weekly to students working a full schedule
of 36-40 hours/week.
- The City of Oxford is working on providing complimentary housing arrangements for interns
who are from out of the area but this has not yet been confirmed for 2016.
Number of Interns: Summer (5) Spring and Fall (2)
Point of Contact: Christine Usry, Director email@example.com