Park Management and Operations Division Manager
- Location: 1001 4th Street Greensboro, NC
- Job Type: Active Full-Time
- Department: Parks and Recreation
- Job Number: 00330
- Closing: 6/6/2016 11:59 PM Eastern
- The Greensboro Parks and Recreation Department is a dynamic team, transforming the way needs are met and services are provided to our residents. We’re leaders in creating benefits for people through equitable practice and innovative strategies. Through our four pillars of C.A.R.E. – Creating economic impacts; Advancing conservation; Rejuvenating health and wellness; and Enhancing quality of life, we are committed to building better lives and a better community. Come join us! Why join us? We’re an energized team who values honesty, trust, stewardship, respect, innovation and diversity. To do this, we need the best people who can connect with these values, our mission and vision. If this speaks to you, you think you’ve got what it takes, then keep reading, get ready to apply and compete for one of the most challenging and rewarding career opportunities you’ve ever had.
As part of the department’s leadership team you’ll report to the Deputy Director and serve as the Division Manager for our Park Management and Operations Division. This will not always be a “walk in the park”, it’s not a park maintenance job, and it’s not a park manager position; however, it is a high level leadership position responsible for internal and external facing responsibilities, ranging from personnel and project management, to administration, to HR, to budget management and financial forecasting. You’ll partner closely with the Deputy Director and other division managers to chart the future course for your division and the department through executing the best park management, natural resource management / conservation practices, while positioning staff and the department for success. Your are vital to the City and department’s success and charged with leading 90 full time professionals, 100+ facilities, and over 5,000 acres. When you’re not sharpening your pencil and managing the division’s $7.5 Million budget, or presenting to our Commission, you may be rolling up your sleeves to help your Regional Park Superintendent with the redevelopment of one of the four regional parks, or testing out your green thumb with your Botanical Gardens Superintendent at one of our four award winning botanical gardens, or perhaps putting on your safety goggles with your Specialized Park Maintenance Superintendent, checking out their latest construction project, or even working alongside your Cemetery Superintendent to improve operations. If you’re at a point in your career where this sounds as if it was written just for you, you’re eager to work in a fast paced position, with varied hours, and are passionate about building better lives through the power of parks and recreation you may have found the best job in the world. The Park Management and Operations Division Manager position might be for you if: • You are relentless in exceeding the needs of our residents and developing your staff; • You are an empowering leader dedicated to ensuring that all aspects of park and facility operations are executed at the highest level of quality; • You have a proven record of developing and implementing strategies to assist with increasing return on investment; • Cost recovery through effective forecasting of needs related to staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies is a proven strength; • You have extensive knowledge and comprehensive experience with executing best practice of park maintenance and management • You’re motivated and driven. You’re going to take ownership of the time you spend with us and truly make a difference; • Excelling in critical thinking capabilities and make lightning – fast decisions is a joy and a strength; • You enjoy solving complex problems. You love taking on difficult challenges and finding creative solutions. You don’t get frustrated easily; • You pay attention to details; • You like collaborating with other community service department s to deliver services and programs; • You communicate clearly. You write well. You speak eloquently to diverse audiences (staff, residents, other stakeholders) This position is Exempt and is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree “OR” an Associates degree with 9+ years of related experience.
- 4 or more years of progressively responsible administrative and supervisory/managerial experience in Parks and Recreation or closely related field
- 7 or more years experience in park facilities operations, management, and/or maintenance in a department or organization with similarly diverse facilities, functions, and programming
- Prior experience with budget development/monitoring and contract development, negotiation, execution and management
- Proficient with Microsoft programs
- Valid NC Driver’s License
- Bachelor’s Degree in Parks and Recreation, Leisure Services or Facility Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field
- Experience developing process improvement strategies related to Parks and facility operations
- Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP) Certification
- Experience developing and implementing park and facility inspections and maintenance/management plans
- Work Schedule: Mon-Fri 8am-5pm; (frequent meetings and activities during weekend and evening hours)
- City of Greensboro – Apply on their website.
- 300 West Washington StreetGreensboro, North Carolina, 27401.