July 13-15, 2021
In Person Event (Space is limited)
NC State University McKimmon Center
Cost: $600 – Includes course materials, instruction, exam, meals (breaks and lunches), and CEUs.
(Exam only option available)
About the Course
The Certified Playground Safety Inspector course prepares professionals to recognize and prevent potential playground hazards and to inspect playgrounds for safety issues using current ASTM International standards and CPSC guidelines.
Course participants learn how to:
- Identify hazards on public playgrounds and playground equipment
- Rank hazards according to injury potential
- Apply that info and establish a playground safety program
After taking the CPSI course, participants have the knowledge needed to:
- Establish a sound risk reduction program;
- Establish a system of repair, retrofit, and removal of hazardous equipment; and create a routine inspection system.
Who should attend?
Park and Recreation Administrators, Supervisors, Risk Managers, Public Works Departments, Building and Grounds Maintenance Staff, Playground Designers, Engineers Operators, and Playground Caretakers.
Participants also gain the most up-to-date information to sit for the CPSI certification exam. Certification is valid for three years.
Developed by the National Recreation and Park Association, the CPSI certification program provides the most comprehensive and up-to-date training on playground safety issues including hazard identification, equipment specifications, surfacing requirements and risk management methods.
CPSI is designed to educate and train individuals to identify and reduce risks. Advanced reading and fifteen hours of training from nationally known playground safety experts will prepare participants to sit for the examination offered at the culmination of the certification course; it is also approved for 1.2 CEUs.
It is estimated that each year, more than 200,000 playground injuries occur in the United States. This year, approximately fifteen children will die from injuries as a result of a playground accident. Having a CPSI on staff helps to prevent injuries in your parks and facilities.
McKimmon Center Resources
Playground Safety and Design Resources
- National Program for Playground Safety
- ASTM Standards
- National Center on Accessibility
- International Play Equipment Manufacturers Association
- The World Playground Directory
- Natural Learning Initiative
Thank you to our Sponsors for their support of the
2021 CPSI Course!
Cancellation Policy Need Help Registering?