Previous semester videoconference recordings are available free of charge.
Fall 2015 Recordings Library
September 2015 – Parks and Recreation Trust Fund Application Workshop
Recreation Resources Service (RRS) conducts a free workshop for local governments to explain the Parks and Recreation Trust Fund (PARTF) application process and requirements. The PARTF application teleconference workshop is a must for all those applying for a PARTF grant. Contact your RRS Regional Consultant for more information or to discuss your project. For more information about the PARTF grant visit our PARTF web page.
October 2015 – Unique Facilities
- Discover unique facilities designed to cater to trending park programs, user experiences, activities and events in local parks.
- Understand the management implications and maintenance requirements of these facilities.
- Lean how to budget for the planning, design and construction of unique facilities that meet the specific needs of your community residents.
- Troy Fitzsimmons – Director, Cornelius, NC Parks and Recreation and Cultural Resources Department
- Speaker Panel – City of Raleigh Parks, Arts, Recreation and Culture
November – 2015 ADA Guidance and Information for Park Planning
It is vital to develop new parks and have a plan to bring existing parks in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, but keeping up with current ADA and ABA standards can be a challenge. Recreation Resources Service has invited representatives from the United States Access Board and North Carolina Department of Insurance to share their expertise on accessible design, accessibility guidelines, requirements and standards.
- Provisions for outdoor developed areas including trails, beach access, picnic and camping areas
- Implications of the 2013 Guidelines for Outdoor Areas
- North Carolina requirements for trails and greenways.
- When to provide accessible route to the sport activity making the sport activity accessible
- Overview of ANSI Ch. 11 provisions for recreational areas with NC changes, including next potential NC code change
- Bill Botten – Accessibility Specialist, United States Access Board
- Laurel Wright – Chief Accessibility Code Consultant, NC Department of Insurance
December – 2015 Youth Sports Topics
- Understand the nature of potential conflicts and how to prevent and intervene
- Learn how to better manage and create tournament schedules
- Become introduced to trending, unique sports programs and the tools and resources needed to provide them
- David Guthrie – Youth Sports Director – Semper Fit Department, MCCS
- Jennifer Bennett – Outdoor Recreation Manager, Jackson County Parks and Recreation
- Gary Leonhardt – Director, Morganton Parks and Recreation
Spring 2016 Topics
Current semester videoconference recordings are available for $10.00
January 2016 – Park Maintenance
- Understand how to identify and develop chemical control strategies for weeds and pests that are environmentally safe and responsible.
- Learn how to motivate maintenance staff to improve their supervisory and leadership skills to better care for park facilities
- Define the relationships between manager, supervisor, leader and management supervision and leadership
- Become acquainted with urban forestry planning/maintenance including planting, mulching, pest and weed control and proper planting locations.
- Matt Stevens – NC State Agricultural Extension Agent – Nash County
- Ken Hisler – Recreation Superintendent – City of Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources
- Sally Thigpen – Assistant Recreation Superintendent – City of Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources
February 2016 – Volunteerism
- Philosophies on volunteerism
- Strategies that excite people to become and stay on board as volunteers
- How volunteers become advocates and champions for organizational goals
- Volunteer Impact
- Communicating with, scheduling and leading volunteers
- Brad Allen, President and Executive Director – North Carolina Senior Games
- Lynn Harrell, Associate Director – North Carolina Senior Games
- Harriett Edwards, Associate Professor and Extension Specialist for Volunteerism in the Department of Youth, Family, and Community Sciences at North Carolina State University
Example Documents, Presentation Slides and Handouts
March 3 – Summer Camp
April 6 – Partnerships and Collaboration
May 4 – Accessible/Inclusive Parks: Part One; Part Two